<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 03, 2005

Yesterday we ended up in Dublin city centre, a place I normally avoid on a Sunday. I couldn’t believe the amount of people in Henry Street. I went into one or two shops and promptly walked out again. I found the crowds to be astounding.

Has consumerism become the new religion? I asked myself. Is Sunday shopping a new form of religious observance? Has traditional Catholic worship in church replaced by trips to Liffey Valley, Dundrum etc? Where do we go from here?

I fear that yes consumerism has become the new religion and that we are now obliged to bow down before the almighty market.


On another note we noticed that the Staggs Head public house which under its previous ownership seldom opened on a Sunday was doing a roaring trade yesterday. New brooms and all that.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati Profile