<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 31, 2004

I was out last night for a few drinks with D. We went into The Long Hall on Georges Street. They weren’t that many people around and we easily got a seat. But something was wrong and for half a minuet or so I couldn’t put my finger on it. I stopped and listened. Then it dawned on me.

I glanced up at the walls and there they were, two newly installed speakers. The volume was low but you’d be conscious of their existence. What’s wrong with that you may ask. Plenty!

The Long Hall is one of those now rare species, the genuine Dublin pub. The genuine Dublin pub looks ancient and filthy from the outside but inside has a warm charm. You can hear yourself talk and the Guinness is good. If there is a tv then most of the time it is switched off. Bland music coming from a stereo system is nonexistent as indeed is a stereo.

Now The Long Hall does have a tv, though I’ve only seen it switched on twice. Once two years ago for the World Cup semi final between Turkey and Brazil. And the second time was earlier this month when the protests at the EU enlargement ceremony. I’ve never seen speakers in the pub before last night.

So alas another bastion of aul Dublin has fallen. A sad day. A sad day.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati Profile