<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 13, 2004

Tomorrow is Valentines Day. The last two Valentines days I spent with C and now she’s getting married in June. We were and are very good friends but ...... I met her just before Christmas last year and she invited me to the wedding. I think I’ll give it a miss. Too late I realised how important C was in my life. The guy she’s marring seems genuine enough, I met him once, though in no way would I be in his financial league. Like the line in the song says “You don’t know what you got till it’s gone”.

The death of the 19 Chinese cockle pickers in Morecambe Bay last weekend scares me. Frightening to think that their loved ones are at home wonder where they are, waiting in expectation for a letter or some other form of communication. Who were those Chinese who died? What were their names? What stories did they have to tell? We will never know.

I’m reminded of the three Bosnian farm labourers who died in a car crash last year on their way to work in north county Dublin. They survived the unknown hardships of war, only to perish while travelling to a job most Irish people would now turn their noses up at. I keep thinking of our own history, how many hundreds died in the coffin ships? We have I think forgotten our past. How sad.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati Profile